About OPC's (Pine Bark Extract)
OPC-85™ is a potent natural antioxidant derived from the bark of the European coastal pine, Pinus maritima. It is the original product of Dr. Jacques Masquelier, the researcher who first isolated and identified oligomeric proanthocyanidins, or OPC's. OPC's are powerful plant compounds which have been shown to have exceptional free-radical scavenging activity, and which help preserve the integrity of body tissues. They belong to a larger class of compounds called bioflavanols, a group of substances which are built out of the same molecule - the flavan-3-ol molecule. Source Naturals OPC-85™ is guaranteed to contain 85% bioflavanoids for maximum benefit.
The impressive list of effects shown or implied by recent studies includes:
- Greater protection against free radicals and DNA damage than is provided by vitamins C, E, and beta-carotene;
- Selective toxicity to human breast-, lung-, and gastric-cancer cells;
- Protection against drug-induced liver and kidney damage, tobacco-induced DNA damage, UV-induced skin damage, and chemotherapy-induced toxicity;
- Prevention of heart damage from oxygen deprivation; strengthening blood vessels, repairing varicose veins, reducing leg edema, enhancing microcirculation;
- Stimulation of collagen synthesis, protection and restoration of damaged membranes and connective tissue, including the blood-brain barrier;
- prevention, amelioration, or reversal of chronic pancreatitis, asthma, lupus, diabetic retinopathy, and deep vein blood clots.